They say a picture paints a thousand words. And when almost every aspect of your property is shown online in marketing, you'd better make sure the picture that’s being painted is a good one!
High quality photos have become an integral part of marketing your home when selling or renting. When searching for a property, almost all buyers or tenants will turn to the internet to find their next home, and they’ll peruse many listings before making their final decision. Excellent photos are a critical part of quality marketing and will strongly influence their decision about which properties to view in person – after all, first impressions are key.
So, whether you’re using a professional photographer or your agent is taking the shots themselves, how do you show your property off in the best light? We’ve put together our top three tips to ensure the best photos possible:
Light it up
A well-lit room can do wonders for photography. Often it will make your property look airy and spacious, as well as warm and inviting. Make sure to take advantage of natural light where possible, by opening blinds and curtains. If a room is dark, make sure to change any blown bulbs.
Clutter can often make rooms appear smaller than they actually are. Make sure to de-clutter inside and out to maximise space and create an open look and feel. Aim to remove personal items where possible – remember, you’re trying to help potential buyers envision themselves living in your home. Buyers or tenants will find it difficult to imagine living in a property when your personal belongings are the focal point in every single room.
Don’t forget to:
- Clear the kitchen of small appliances
- Store dishes, tea towels and rubbish bins away
- Remove magnets and notes off the fridge
- Hide personal items such as razors, shampoos, toothbrushes and flannels in bathroom
- Clear the clothes line
- Make sure bookcases and shelves are neat
- Hide all pet bowls, toys and kitty litter trays
- Clear the yard of any kids’ toys, gardening items and any outdoor furniture that doesn’t enhance the space
Clean and tidy
A well-presented property will always attract more interest over a home that presents poorly. Photographs capture everything, so it’s important to take care of even the smallest of details. Make sure to give your property a goody tidy before the photographer arrives, paying particular attention to key areas such as bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens and yards.
And finally don’t forget to:
- Trim gardens and mow the lawn
- Place fresh towels neatly in bathroom
- Mirrors should be clean and streak-free
- Shower walls and door should be clean and dry
- Kitchen benches clean and tidy
- Remove shoes from the doorstep or entrance
When it comes to renting or selling a property, there are no marketing costs with Iron Bridge. We take care of the lot, including the photography – so give us a call.
Download a PDF of this blog here.